Rafe Griffin (@rafegriffin)
The draw for the opening round of the 2016 FFA Cup in the Brisbane zone was made by Football Brisbane on Wednesday night.
Forty-two teams comprising all Capital Two, Three and Four clubs as well as the five lowest ranked clubs from 2015’s Capital One will compete in the opening round.
Among the key fixtures in the draw, Capital One Grange Thistle will host returning club Caboolture. Many have suggested that based on the Snakes’ results in the Sunshine Coast Premier League, that they should have been placed in a higher league than Capital Four. This match will provide a good gauge of their true level of play. A preview will take place this weekend with both clubs scheduled to face each other in the Gorilla Sports Challenge.
New Football Brisbane club Logan Metro face a stern test against Centenary Stormers who have been promoted in successive years and have put in impressive Cup runs in the two years of the competition.
Virginia who upset the BPL’s Capalaba last year will host new club St George Willawong/
The full draw is:
- Logan City Kings vs Acacia Ridge
- Ipswich City vs Tarragindi
- Western Spirit vs Souths
- Greenbank vs The Gap
- Ridge Hills vs Brisbane Force
- Virginia Utd vs St George Willawong
- Toowong vs Newmarket
- Kangaroo Point Rovers vs Narangba
- Bardon Latrobe vs Jimboomba
- Grange Thistle vs Caboolture
- Springfield United vs Park Ridge
- Bethania vs Mooroondu
- Deception Bay vs Logan Village
- Westside vs Annerley
- Samford vs New Farm
- Brighton vs Redcliffe PCYC
- Pine Hills vs Clairvaux
- North Brisbane vs Bayside
- Oxley vs AC Carina
- Logan Metro vs Centenary Stormers
- Southside Eagles vs Slacks Creek
Times, dates and venues will be confirmed at a later date but matches are scheduled to take place on the weekend 12-14 February.
The twenty-one winners will be joined by the seven remaining Capital One clubs and the twelve Brisbane Premier League clubs in the following round